Avoid Feeding Holiday Foods That Can Make Your Pet Seriously Sick

Part of the fun of the holidays is sharing it with our pets. The smells of our holiday foods can get our pets seriously salivating and treats left laying open on the counter or table may prove too tempting.

It is possible to share some holiday foods with our pets, like unseasoned turkey, or plain veggies, but there are some foods we need to make sure our pets do not ingest.

What sweets are toxic for dogs and cats?

Most people know that chocolates are poisonous to dogs, but you may not know you also need to keep chocolate away from cats. As well, raisins are toxic and can be fatal for pets. Lastly, check if there is xylitol in any of your treats. This sweetener is poisonous and possibly deadly for pets. It’s important to keep your treats hidden somewhere your pets cannot get into.

Can dogs/cats eat turkey?

Turkey is ok for cats and dogs, but if it is cooked, it should be an unseasoned portion, preferably from the breast. Do not feed your pet cooked turkey wings or drumsticks because cooked bones splinter easily and can cut and puncture your pet’s digestive system. Please do not feed your dog or cat any cooked bones – that includes turkey, chicken, pork, lamb and beef bones. If you are feeding your dog or cat cooked turkey or ham over the holidays, please ensure there are no bones.

What seasonings are toxic

Onions and garlic, fresh, dried and powdered, are toxic to cats and dogs. Stuffing and turkey with onion and garlic cannot be fed to pets. Garlic is poisonous for dogs and cats and onion can cause potentially fatal hemolytic anemia, or red blood cell damage.

Skip fatty foods for your pet’s Christmas dinner

Lastly, butter, cream and gravy contain a lot of fat and are too rich for our pets and will likely cause indigestion. So skip the mashed potatoes and gravy in your pet’s bowl.

If your pet eats any of the following, please call your vet immediately and monitor them closely:

  • Raisins
  • Chocolate
  • Sweets with xylitol
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Fat/Grease
  • Gravy
  • Cooked bones

No one wants to be sick at Christmas, and that includes our cats and dogs. Unfortunately, our pets don’t know what is dangerous for them, so we need to be extra cautious during the holidays to ensure they don’t ingest anything that could harm them.

If your pet ingests anything in the list above or is experiencing unexplained illness or digestive issues, please call us at 403-615-8016 to see one of our vets.

If you are having an after-hours emergency visit one of the 24 hr emergency clinics in the city. A list of emergency clinics can be found on our website.

For more information on household toxins for your pets, you may contact the National Animal Poison Control Centre or the Pet Poison Helpline 24/7 Animal Poison Control Centre at 1-855-764-7661 (fees may apply). The Animal Poison Control also has a mobile app for pet toxicities.